Friday, July 27, 2007

Tuesday 7/17

Most of the beginning of Tuesday was typical Metzger time: hanging out on the couch reading, lounging, and schmoozing with whichever of my cousins happen to be around. I hung out with Aunt Marilyn and Asher until Lia woke up. When she finally did (not that I blame her for sleeping late, she hadn't slept for real in days) we made food. And it was so yummy. Lia always makes the best omelets. I made a super good salad and she made me eggs. It was fun to stand around chopping vegetables while she cooked. I really enjoy spending time with people in the kitchen because not only do you get to spend time with them but you get a tasty reward at the end! I am a spaz to the end and while we were cleaning up I managed to break a glass. Not only did I break it, I caused it to explode all over half of the downstairs. There was literally glass everywhere. I felt really bad but it was an old glass and Marilyn promised she was already planning on cleaning the floors...
Asher has been getting into playing memory lately so we played a few rounds with Lia, who although she's much better than me wimped out saying that she was terrible. Noa came home just in time and was a great replacement. She loves playing games it's really fun.
After a few more hours of cousin time I headed into Jerusalem to have dinner with my new roommates. I was going to be meeting the third roommate for the first time. I got a ride with Saralyn's daughter to a spot where I could pick up a bus directly to Jerusalem instead of having to spend half an hour winding through a religious community and an Arab village. It was really convenient!! On the bus David called with some news. He was getting out of the army for the night and was going to have to sleep in Tel Aviv but I could come see him if I wanted to. Obviously I was willing to JUMP at any opportunity to spend time with him. I tried to call off the dinner but when I realized that Shira was traveling from far away just to come meet me I realized that it was too mean. Instead I changed the location to be closer to the central bus station so I could hop on one to Tel Aviv as soon as dinner was over. I lasted for about an hour before I couldn't stand not being with David anymore so I left. Shira seems really nice and I think the three of us are going to get along really well. I feel REALLY bad that I was so flaky and distracted, but opportunities like this were one of the biggest perks of moving here right now and I wasn't going to miss my chance. I sped to the bus station and was able to shove on a bus that was running late. I met David at the train/bus depot in Tel Aviv. It was really great to see him on a Tuesday. We had no idea where we were so we went to our friend Talia’s apartment to see her and use that as a base. For some reason I really really had an urge to go to the beach. Fortunately Talia lives 2 seconds from it. We walked down and David and I just sat watching the water and the people playing volleyball (the courts were full even at 9 something at night!!!). It was really romantic and fun to get to be with him so unexpectedly in a different and spontaneous place.
Now comes one of those "only in Israel does this ever happen" stores (that happen here ALL the time). I get a call while on the beach from a number I don't recognize. Turns out it's my friend Jessica who had been on birthright and extended her stay. She was also in Tel Aviv at the moment at a hotel on the beach. Turns out I was sitting directly in front of her hotel. What were the chances? There are about 20 hotels spread out along the length of Tel Aviv's beaches!! She came down to see me and meet David and she brought with her as a surprise Debbie, another friend from high school who was with her on the trip and who I hadn't seen in years. It was so fun to see them! It was even better to hear about what a wonderful time they had had on birthright and how much it really made them feel connected to Israel and love being here. It warms my heart to hear stories about how people come to love a place that I love so much. It was also really nice that they got to meet David after hearing me talk about him for so long!
David then found out that his ride back to base in the morning from Tel Aviv was cancelled but that they guy who usually drives in from his neighborhood in Efrat (South of Jerusalem) who didn't think he would be driving now was. We left the beach to go back to Jerusalem where I needed to sleep anyway. We got to sit together on the bus which is always fun. I think that traveling with a person helps bring out not only their negative traits (stress etc) but also their real personalities and bus rides are the closest thing David and I have to traveling together for now. We made it back just in time for David to catch the last bus to Efrat. We said goodbye and I caught the last bus toward the other side of town to Ariel's house where I was staying for the night. I hated saying goodbye to him again but it was very reassuring to know that I got an extra present to see him in the middle of the week and to know that he would be home Thursday evening anyway.

No comments: