Friday, July 9, 2010

National Community Service Award

This past week I received a scholarship and award in recognition of the community service I did this year at Beit Noam. The community service was under the auspices of the Office of Immigrant Absorption and the Student Authority. The government provides an academic scholarship to all new immigrants, and in return asks for 120 hours of volunteer service. I, along with 49 other immigrants, was chosen from among over 1,000 students who participated in this program to receive the award. On Tuesday there was a ceremony. At first I wasn't really sure how I felt about the whole thing and I wasn't really sure what it all meant. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that it is a big deal. I didn't realize how few people were chosen to be recognized for their work. In addition, I didn't realize how emotional and proud I would feel being there with my immigrant peers, all of us working hard toward successful absorption here, and all of us giving so much to the country we want so badly to be a part of. I was the only American chosen, and that made me very proud on the one hand. On the other it made me a bit sad to see that there were many countries well represented (including Ethiopia and many South America countries) and that no other Americans participated in the program to a level that deserved national recognition. I wish I would hear of more Americans like me enjoy their community service and feel that it really changed them, like mine changed me.

David, Aunt Marilyn, and Cousin Lia came with me to the ceremony. It was really nice to be able to share with them, and I know I made them very proud. It is such a great feeling to be recognized for something that I loved anyway. I took a few pictures, but haven't had the chance to upload them to the computer yet. Hopefully some time in the next month in between the digs and tests I'll put some up.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Congratulations, Sara!!! That's amazing. (Though I'm not really surprised- you're one of the most dedicated, hard-working people I know!)

katherine said...

mazal tov and yasher koach!