Thursday, May 20, 2010

O How I Hate Beni Brak

This is the first time since I've been in Israel that my experience GETTING TO a bureaucratic office has been more unpleasant than my time spent in said office.

This morning I walked to the Interior Ministry Branch in Beni Brak to get my first Israeli Passport (I had a legal travel document that was only valid in Israel.) All told, it took me only an hour, but the walk through Bnei Brak is just so unpleasant.

I can't stand Charedim and am completely disgusted by their way of life. The streets are filled with garbage and it reeks everywhere. I almost got hit by cars at least 5 times because they all drive as if they don't value human life. And to top it all off, they are rude. When I crossed the bridge over the highway that separates Givat Shmuel from Beni Brak I took a huge deep breath of the "clean" air and felt so relieved to be home!

On the other hand, my experience at the Interior Ministry was really really refreshing (ironic as that is). I didn't even have time to fill out the passport request form when it was my turn at the counter. The lady was really really nice and helpful and I was finished within 7 minutes. Unlike in the American system, I will have my passport within a week (probably sooner). Definitely a mixed up way to start the day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

any reason why they live in conditions like that?