Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Love My Daddy

My Dad was just here for a week to spend time with us and to be here for the Yoni Schiff’s Bar Mitzvah. It was wonderful to have him here for MANY reasons. First of all, it was a fantastic feeling that I have seen my dad on 3 separate occasions over the last 6 months. That’s more time than we’ve been able to spend together in the last few years. It was a really nice feeling knowing that I didn’t have to miss him so much because I would see him again so soon. Now I’m much more sad that he’s not around because with my school schedule and my parent’s busy lives (not to mention Seth who is probably busier than all of us combined) I’m not sure when our next reunion will be. It’s a hard thing saying goodbye to my parents each time. I don’t think it is something I will ever get used to.

It was great having my dad stay with us because it was the perfect opportunity for him to get an insight into our lives on a daily basis. It is really important for me that my parents understand what my life is like so we can all relate to each other. I am SO glad we got a 2-bedroom apartment so we are open to opportunities like this to have my parents as guests. It meant so much to me for him to spend some time with us that wasn’t centered around any specific event (except for the weekend.)

Another great thing about my dad being here, was that when he left, I didn’t feel like he was abandoning me or that I was being ripped from him (whether by my own choice or not is not the point), which I felt the last few times I parted with my parents. Instead I felt like I was in the right place. I had my schoolwork to attend to and my house to run and take care of. I felt that I was/am in my right place and it was totally normal for my dad to drop in and then leave. I’m not saying it was easy to say goodbye… but at the same time I can’t stop being excited about the life that I am building here and now and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I think that was something that was important for me to feel and important for my dad to see and experience. If I had to leave them at least it was to a place where I am truly happy. I love the home that David and I are building together and there is nowhere else in the world I would rather be and no one with whom I would rather build it. As much as this is something I have always known, until my dad left I hadn’t felt it so strong or clearly before. I am no longer a child who has left home alone. I am married woman who has moved on to my own home in the normal order of life. I am happy and I am flourishing and I am thrilled that my dad could be here to see it.

School is going GREAT! I absolutely love it and we’re already 5 weeks in! I chuckle to myself every time I think about the fact that I am getting a college degree for learning about Israel. I feel like its everything I ever wanted to know about Israel and Jewish history and more! I just wanted to gush… it is a wonderful feeling to also be settled in my studies especially since it has taken me so long to get here. I feel like I am finally on the right track and it simply feels great. I can’t wait to learn more and solidify my place for myself here even more. (AND my Hebrew is getting amazing!!!!!!!)

No comments: